“How do I become an event planner?”
This is one of the most frequently asked questions we get. The good news is that becoming an event planner was named the best business job of 2014. Event Planners can make a great salary and the industry is expected to continue 20% growth over the next eight years.
To get started, you can continue reading below or if you know you are ready for our detailed, best-in-the-industry guide you can get it here.
There are two main types of planners: Social Planners and Corporate Planners
- Social planning includes weddings, birthdays, parties, anniversaries, bar mitzvahs, and holidays.
- Corporate planning includes meetings, company events, seminars, conventions, associations and charities.
The first thing to do is figure out which of these two categories you enjoy more. There are ways to become successful doing both types of events but it’s helpful to master one type before tackling the other.
How Can You Become An Event Planner?
You have three options to getting involved in the planning industry.
1. You can start your own planning business.
You can read our comprehensive guide on starting your own business by clicking here.
It has a 5 Star Rating and answers many of the most commonly asked questions:
What are the first steps to becoming an event planner?
How do you get clients?
How do you know how much to charge for my services?
How do you know if you’re charging enough money?
What is the best way to market your business?
Do you need an event planning degree / certification?
Plus much more
2. You can get a job as an event planner.
Many medium to large-size companies hire their own event planners. Common companies who have planners on staff are hotels, restaurants, concert venues, nightclubs and television studios. In this role you would be responsible for things like:
- Holiday parties, Retreats, Board meetings, Stockholder meetings, Award ceremonies, Executive trips, Trade shows, Conventions, Client entertainment and Seminars.
If you are already qualified for an event planner job, you can search for Event Planner Jobs here. If you are interested in classroom classes, you can find an event planning school near you. And lastly, if you prefer home study guides about becoming an event planner, you can review our “Become An Event Planner Guide”.
3. You can get a job with an event planning company.
An event planning company can give you valuable experience to build up your career. In order to get this type of job, you should get your resume ready. Be sure its organized, clean and stands out. Jobs at event planning companies are hard to get so you want every advantage over your competition.
Planning companies often times specialize in weddings, catering, special parties, industry conventions, seminars, etc.
What Classes Should I Take To Become An Event Planner?
There are two main ways to study to become an event planner:
1. You can take college classes at a local school or online. If you would like to see which colleges are in your area just answer this short form and we’ll match you to schools in your area.
2. You can buy our study at home course to learn the basics of becoming an event planner. Our course is very good at teaching you the ins and outs of event planning but it is a home study course. If you would rather get a degree in Event Planning then click the form above. If you would like to see the home study course please get it here.
Educational Requirements for Becoming an Event Planner
There are no formal requirements to get into the events industry, although if you are applying for a job it sometimes helps having a college degree. Industry certifications like the CMP (Certified Meeting Professional) and CSEP (Certified Special Events Professional) can sometimes replace a college degree on your resume. If you are starting your own business then having a college degree does not play a role in getting clients.
The problem is there aren’t many classes you can take in college to learn the exact day-to-day skills that make you an asset to an event planning company. Nor are there many classes that help you start your own event planning business. This is why we created a complete guide to walking you through the important steps of creating your own business (above). Most online event planning courses charge over $1200 for the same material.
- I am looking for Event Planner Jobs – If you are interested in finding a job as an event planner, most companies prefer to hire someone who has experience coordinating one or more major events and has an educational background in how event planning works. Today most event planners have at least a college degree, and some have a masters degree in fields such as business, communications and hospitality management. If you have event planning experience (or a college degree) and are ready to apply for openings at event planner companies, you can search our event planner job board now.